[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - March 2011

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Thu Mar 17 11:36:50 EDT 2011

March 2011

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://mmviverito.com <http://mmviverito.com/>

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb>

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MMViverito <http://twitter.com/MMViverito>

Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>

Visit our Parks Committee Blog: http://parksnyc.wordpress.com <http://parksnyc.wordpress.com/>

Recent News and Events

El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force Launches Series of Public Discussions

Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito and the El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force launched a series of community discussions on Thursday with a meeting at JHS 99 (410 E. 100th Street) in East Harlem. Thursday's meeting brought key community leaders, public housing residents and young people together to discuss the rise in violence in the neighborhood and to brainstorm collectively about ways to address it. Among the issues covered were gun violence, bullying, gangs and the need for a more positive relationship between police and the community. Following an open mic section, attendees went into breakout groups for solution-oriented discussions on particular topics that provided opportunities for youth to take ownership over efforts to curb violence in the community. In order to tailor the discussion to specific parts of El Barrio/East Harlem, Thursday's community discussion focused in on 96th to 106th Streets (from 5th Avenue to the East River). Subsequent meetings, to be scheduled in the coming months, will cover 107th to 116th Streets and 117th to 128th Streets. For more information visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-zn <http://wp.me/pJ9TG-zn> .

City Council Launches 'Save Our Senior Centers' Campaign

The City Council has launched its "Save Our Centers Campaign" in response to the possible closing of up to 105 senior centers citywide, as a result of Governor Cuomo's New York State budget proposal. The campaign aims to convince the Governor and the State Legislature to make the funding available in the State budget to keep the centers open. The Governor's current budget would move over $25 million out of the City's Department for the Aging (DFTA). Of the current senior centers on the closure list, six are in our district (four in El Barrio/East Harlem and two in the South Bronx). The full list is available for download here <http://cscs-ny.org/files/Title_XX_senior_center_closings_NYC_Councilmembers.pdf> . We need your help to send a strong message to Albany that allowing half of our senior centers to close their doors is unacceptable. Visit <http://newsfrommelissa.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/030411-oc03-quinn-protect-our-senior-center-letter.pdf> http://ow.ly/4bLVL <http://ow.ly/4bLVL> to download a letter to Governor Cuomo that you can sign. Please ask your family, friends and neighbors to do the same. You can mail or drop signed letters off to our District Office (105 E. 116th Street, NY, NY 10029). Melissa also recently joined other Council Members in going up to Albany to meet with legislators on this and other budgetary issues of importance to the City of New York.

PCBs in Public Schools

Melissa has signed on to a letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), urging them to step in and insist that the City test for and remove all PCBs from our public schools in two years. The Bloomberg administration recently released a plan for PCB removal, but it would be done over 10 years. Companies have already made offers for cost-effective alternatives that would only take two years, but the administration has not yet embraced these alternative approaches. Recent EPA inspections showed that PCBs (short for polychlorinated byphenyls) had leaked or were actively leaking from old light fixtures at P.S. 206, P.S. 37 and P.S. 112 all located in the same building at 508 E. 120th St. We will continue to fight for the timely removal of PCBs from our school buildings so that all of our learning environments are healthy and safe for all students.

Updates on Jewish Home Lifecare

Melissa has continued to urge JHL to come forward and to engage in more regular dialogue with the community regarding their plans to move to W. 100th Street. We have been told that JHL is still in negotiations with Chetrit and is not yet prepared to come before the community at this time. Meanwhile, Melissa continues to support the community's request that the State Department of Health hold a public hearing regarding JHL's application to build its facility in Park West Village, and plans to write a letter to the new Health Commissioner reiterating her support of that request.

Attention Local Organizations and Schools: Discretionary Expense and Capital Funding Applications are Due March 24th

Applications for Fiscal Year 2012 discretionary expense funding is now available, and are due no later than March 24, 2011 (one week from today!). All application materials and instructions are posted on our blog: www.mmviverito.com/budget <http://www.mmviverito.com/budget> . If you have applied for Council funding before, you will notice that there are some substantial changes to the process this year. For that reason, we strongly encourage you to carefully read the instructions and tips on our blog (www.mmviverito.com/budget), as well as those on the Council's website, to ensure that you are prepared to complete your application correctly and on time. We cannot accept any application materials after March 24th.

Melissa Leads Press Conference with NY Electeds in Solidarity with Wisconsin Workers, Unions and Legislators

Melissa led a press conference last month with 18 other New York elected officials from the federal, state and local levels to stand in solidarity with Wisconsin, as public workers fight to oppose Governor Scott Walker's union busting agenda. Congressmen Charles Rangel and Anthony Weiner, Comptroller John Liu, Senator Bill Perkins and many others joined in thanking the courageous Wisconsin State Senators who have kept a measure that would terminate collective bargaining rights for state employees from passage. For more information and to read a press release about the event, please visit: http://wp.me/pJ9TG-yW <http://wp.me/pJ9TG-yW> .

Melissa Joins Calls for JP Morgan Chase to Change its Mortgage Modification Policies

Melissa recently joined Council Members Jumaane Williams and James Sanders, New York Communities for Change and others in protesting JP Morgan Chase's mortgage policies. A recent report <http://www.nycommunities.org/foreclosure/chasereport> found that Chase has failed to provide desperately needed mortgage modifications that could have helped New Yorkers to avoid losing their homes. Protestors called on Chase to stop all foreclosures, while Council Member Jumaane Williams closed his account at the bank in response to its unfair policies. Since the foreclosure crisis began several years ago, communities of color have been proportionately impacted <http://nedap.org/resources/documents/PayingMoreIV_Final.pdf> as thousands in New York City alone have lost their homes. Out of the over 1,000 New Yorkers that hold a Chase mortgage that asked for a modification, only 6% have had their mortgage modified, placing Chase's performance in this area among the worst in the nation.

CIVITAS Seeking East Harlem Respondents for Community Engagement Survey

CIVITAS and the Wagner School of Public Service at NYU are conducting a Community Engagement Survey of East Harlem and the Upper East Side. The survey period ends March 18, so please fill it out today. Please share your thoughts on transportation, land-use, streetscape and environmental quality. Make your voice heard by completing a five minute survey at

http://www.civitasnyc.org/live/publicneedssurvey <http://www.civitasnyc.org/live/publicneedssurvey> and you will also be entered in a raffle for a $50 Visa Gift Card. You can also request a copy of the survey by emailing civitasCES at gmail.com <mailto:civitasCES at gmail.com> .

Updates on Legislation

City Council Adopts Landmark Legislation Protecting Women, Tenants and Homeowners

The City Council voted to adopt three important pieces of legislation last week, which aim to protect, respectively, the rights of women, tenants and homeowners. Melissa served as a co-sponsor of all three of these bills.

Protecting Women's Rights: Pregnancy Services Center Bill

The Council voted to approve Intro 371, a bill which will require Pregnancy Services Centers <http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/what-is-choice/abortion/abortion-crisis-pregnancy-centers.html> to disclose whether or not they have a licensed medical provider on staff and whether or not they provide or refer for prenatal care, abortions and emergency contraception. Under the bill, these centers must also inform women who are or may be pregnant that they are encouraged by the City's Department oof Health to consult with a licensed medical provider. This legislation also protects the privacy of women who seek services at these centers. Pregnancy Services Centers provide ultrasounds, sonograms and/or prenatal care to women who are or may be pregnant. Though they are not licensed by the State of New York of the federal government to provide medical services, they typically have the appearance of a licensed medical facility. A recent study <http://www.prochoiceny.org/assets/files/cpcreport2010.pdf> found that these centers engage in tactics that dissuade women from exercising their legal right to choose to have an abortion, including providing them with misinformation or engaging in manipulation. This legislation will not shut down Pregnancy Services Centers, but will ensure that women entering them are made aware of the services that they do and do not provide, while also ensuring that their information is kept private and confidential. Please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-z3 to read a statement delivered by Melissa on the floor of the City Council in support of this legislation.

Protecting Tenants: The HEAT Act

The Council also adopted a bill sponsored by Public Advocate Bill de Blasio which will toughen penalties on landlords who are repeatedly found to deny heat and hot water to tenants. The current law allows for a maximum fine of $500 per unit, per day for a first violation and a maximum fine of $1,000 per unit, per day for subsequent violations in the same building within the same calendar year. The HEAT Act will extend those higher fines to two consecutive calendar years or heat seasons, rather than one year under current law.

Protecting Homeowners: Lien Sale Legislation

Finally, the Council adopted another piece of legislation re-authorizing the Departments of Environmental Protection and Finance to sell liens on properties with unpaid water bills or property taxes, but for the first time, with impotant new protections for vulnerable homeoners. These protections include a standard zero-down payment plan, enhanced outreach to enroll homeowners in property tax exemption programs--for seniors, low-income New Yorkers, veterans, and others--that would remove them from a lien sale, and lower interest rates on smaller properties. In addition, for the first time, HPD will be provided with an important enforcement tool against negligent landlords: the ability to place liens on properties where landlords owe money to the City for repairs that were covered by taxpayers.

Mayor Bloomberg is expected to sign all three of these bills.

Opportunities

Download a FREE Admission Pass to the Museum of the City of New York's Exhibit on the Apollo Theater

Visit http://www.mcny.org/images/content/1/3/13644.pdf to download a free admission pass to view "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing: How the Apollo Theater Shaped American Entertainment" at the Museum of the City of New York (1220 5th Avenue at 103rd Street). The exhibit will run through May 1st, and traces the evolution of the Apollo-from its origins as a segregated burlesque hall to its starring role at the epicenter of African American entertainment and American popular culture. Present this pass at the Museum of the City of New York for free admission to the exhibition and at the Apollo Theater box office for two-for-one admission to Amateur Night Wednesdays at 7:30 pm (The Amateur Night offer is valid through April 27th).

Volunteer with East Harlem Tutorial Program

East Harlem Tutorial Program is currently seeking volunteer tutors, mentors and ESL instructors. Please visit http://www.ehtp.org/get-involved/volunteer-opportunities/ <http://www.ehtp.org/get-involved/volunteer-opportunities/> for more information.

The Environmental Control Board Now Holding Hearings Online

Do you have an outstanding Environmental Control Board ticket? These are tickets issued for issues related to littering, recycling and other offenses. ECB is now offering a "one-click hearing" which is an electronic form that allows recipients of tickets to enter a written defense and submit supporting materials such as photos. To learn more about this new process, please visit www.nyc.gov/ecb <http://www.nyc.gov/ecb> .

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

The Next Meeting of the District 8 Immigrant Service Network

When: Friday, March 18th, 9:30am - 11:00am

Where: East Harlem Asthma Center of Excellence, 161-169 East 110th Street

The network is open to organizations interested in collaborating and sharing information relating to programming and services, and in discussing issues of immigrant rights, the political environment, and the challenges facing the immigrant community in the district. At this meeting members will have the opportunity to: share information about relevant programming at your organization; plan for the creation of a resource guide for Network members; give input on the Network's structure and purpose, and how this group can best serve your organization and the community. Contact Rachel at Council Member Viverito's office for more information. RSVP required - RFrey at council.nyc.gov or 212-828-9800.

The 1960s: The Struggle for Justice Intensifies: A Lecture Series

When: March 21st through May 2nd

Where: John Jay College, 899 10th Avenue

An ongoing lecture series on American social movements in the 1960s. For topics and dates, visit http://johnjay.jjay.cuny.edu/injusticejustice/60s/.

Autism Awareness Workshops: Alternative Nutrition for Children with Autism and Other Developmental Disabilites

When: Thursday, March 24th and Thursday April 14th

Where: Sinergia, 2082 Lexington Ave @ 126th Street, 4th Floor

3/24: Reading Labels, Choosing Healthier Foods with Less Chemicals. 4/14: Implementation of a Dairy Free Diet for Kids. Call Gina Peña-Compodónico at 212-643-2840 x305 or e-mail gpena at sinergia.org <mailto:gpena at sinergia.org> to confirm your attendance.

The Public Schools of Charles J.B. Snyder: A Revolution In Public School Design.

When: Thursday, March 24, 6:30 pm

Where: American Youth Hostel, W. 103rd Street & Amsterdam Ave

Lecture by educator Jean Arrington. Presented by Park West Neighborhood History Group. For info 212-666-9774.

Immigration Forum (Sponsored by Senator Perkins)

When: Saturday, March 26th, 10:30 am - 3:00 pm

Where: Wadleigh HS, 215 W. 114th Street

Melissa has joined as a co-sponsor of this forum to be held by Senator Perkins on immigration reform. Topics include violence against immigrant women, special immigrant juvenile status, immigration fraud, wage theft, unemployment insurance benefits and the immigration consequences of criminal convictions. To RSVP please call 212-222-7315. Child care will be provided.

The Puerto Rican Bar Association: Honoring Exceptional Latinas in Our Community at its Annual Women's Award Ceremony (Melissa will be honored)

When: Thursday, March 31st, 2011 * 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Where: Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, Four Times Square, 37th Floor

Speakers include Lynda Baquero and Celina Romany. Honorees include Esq., Hon. Melissa Mark-Viverito, Hon. Tracy Pardo, Myrna Pérez, Esq., Elba Rose Galvan, Esq. and Lucria Ortiz, Esq.

Tenants' Forum (Sponsored by HPD and Council Member Viverito)

When: Wednesday, April 6th, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Where: Union Settlement, 237 E. 104th Street

This is an opportunity for tenants to get information on issues such as getting repairs, housing court, rent subsidies, housing benefits for seniors, NYCHA housing, Section 8, dealing with bedbugs, tenant's rights, and much more.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com <mailto:newsfrommelissa at gmail.com> with the information. Event info sent to other addresses may not be published in the newsletter.

This is only a selection of local events. Additional events in our district can be found at http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm <http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm> (El Barrio/East Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events <http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events> (the West Side).

Also, please see the following Community Boards' calendars for information on board and committee meetings dealing with local issues:

* Community Board 11 <http://www.cb11m.org/event> (El Barrio/East Harlem)
* Community Board 7 <http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/html/calendar/calendar_monthly.shtml> (Upper West Side)
* Community Board 1 <http://www.bronxmall.com/commboards/monthcalendar1.html> (Bronx)

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

The Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El Barrio/East Harlem community, particularly among our youth. Melissa has created the East Harlem/ El Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response to the increase in violence among youth. The task force has been meeting for over a month and we hope you all will join in and be a part of this movement going forward. Only through working together will this issue be at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some information on our task force. If you are interested in being on our listserv, please send an e-mail to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov and you will be added immediately. To read more about the Task Force visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-qb <http://wp.me/pJ9TG-qb> .

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com <mailto:dig1214 at aim.com> .

District 8 Immigrant Service Network

This initiative was born out of a desire to support each other as service providers and advocates working with the immigrant community in District 8. The network is open to organizations interested in collaborating and sharing information relating to programming and services, and in discussing issues of immigrant rights, the political environment, and the challenges facing the immigrant community in the district. For more info, please contact Rachel Frey at 212-828-9800 or rfrey at council.nyc.gov <mailto:rfrey at council.nyc.gov> .

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

March 28th from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

March 10th and 24th from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THESE OFFICE HOURS!

Joe Taranto
Deputy Chief of Staff
Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito
250 Broadway, Room 1882
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 788-6960
Fax: (212) 442-1564