[BwayDems] A Report on the Budget from CM Melissa Mark-Viverito

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Thu Jun 30 13:26:34 EDT 2011

A Message from Melissa

Dear Constituents and Friends:

I am writing to provide an update on the Fiscal Year 2012 budget, which was adopted by the City Council yesterday. This year, we have again created a report on the budget and the discretionary funding that is coming to Council District 8, which I hope you will take a moment to review. Please click here<http://www.scribd.com/doc/59063394/MMV-FY12-Budget-Report-Final> to open the report. If you have trouble accessing the report through that link, you can also download it in PDF format by clicking here<http://newsfrommelissa.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/mmv-fy12-budget-report-final.pdf>.

Mayor Bloomberg again this year refused to demonstrate leadership in advocating for the wealthiest among us to put in their fair share, and instead proposed a number of deep cuts to critical municipal and human services. As always, the City Council set out to negotiate with the Mayor to preserve funding for core services. Considering where we began with the Mayor's proposal, the final adopted budget puts us in a much better place for this fiscal year. While some programs were reduced or eliminated, we managed to avoid over 4,000 teacher layoffs, 20 firehouse closures and other cuts that would have devastated our social safety net.

This report<http://www.scribd.com/doc/59063394/MMV-FY12-Budget-Report-Final> provides information on some of the restorations the City Council was able to make, as well as a breakdown of the discretionary dollars (both expense and capital) that I was able to secure for our district this year. I hope that you will continue to keep up with the work of my office by visiting our blog (www.mmviverito.com<http://www.mmviverito.com>), Facebook and Twitter pages on a regular basis.

Though hard to imagine, next year's budget is expected to be worse. It will be more important than ever that we all unite in pressuring the administration to finally stand up for the majority of this city by asking for shared sacrifice from the wealthy and Wall Street. I hope I can continue to count on your support as I keep driving that message home.

As always, please feel free to contact my City Hall Office with any questions or concerns regarding the budget.

Sincerely,

Melissa Mark-Viverito
Council Member

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL or PRIVILEGED material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive communications through this medium, please so advise the sender immediately.