[BwayDems] E-News from CM Melissa Mark-Viverito - June/July 2011

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Fri Jul 8 14:56:26 EDT 2011

E-NEWS FROM COUNCIL MEMBER
MELISSA MARK-VIVERITO

June/July 2011

Inside this Newsletter:
Keep Up With Our Work Online · Recent News and Events · Updates on Legislation · Upcoming Events ·
Getting Involved · District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://mmviverito.com<http://mmviverito.com/>
Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb<https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb>
Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MMViverito
Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv<https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>
Visit our Parks Committee Blog: http://parksnyc.wordpress.com<http://parksnyc.wordpress.com/>

Recent News and Events

Melissa Releases Report on Discretionary Funds Coming to Our District in the Fiscal Year 2012 Budget

Shortly after the adoption of the Fiscal Year 2012 budget, Melissa released a report on discretionary expense and capital funds that she has helped secure for organizations and schools in our district in the Fiscal Year 2012 budget. A range of organizations were funded with discretionary awards, with a particular focus this year on organizations helping to address youth violence in El Barrio/East Harlem. A number of capital projects were also funded, including cameras for several NYCHA developments, a new skate park in El Barrio/East Harlem, upgrades of the first floor of the Bloomingdale Branch Library in Manhattan Valley and much-needed renovations at the Betances Senior Center in the Bronx. The budget report also provides information on the restorations to the Mayor's proposed budget made by the City Council, as well as Council initiatives. To read the report, please visit http://scr.bi/iAhmA2.

Youth Violence Task Force Update

The work of the Youth Violence Task Force is continuing into this summer. We have now held three community discussions with young people to hear from them directly about ways in which we can collectively address youth violence in our community. We will continue meeting with many of those young people to help them turn their ideas into action. We will also be holding our annual Teen Fair on Sunday, August 26th, the theme of which this year is focused around stopping the violence in our community.

Melissa Issues Statement in Response to the Tragic Killings of Three El Barrio/East Harlem Teens within Three Weeks

"In the past three weeks alone, three teenagers from our community have been killed due to senseless and endemic violence in our city. A young woman, Tysha Jones, gunned down enjoying a day at the beach; a young man, Juan Ortero, shot while walking to a local deli; and now another talented and promising young man, Isayah Muller, stabbed to death on the day of his high school graduation. As we head into the summer, we are seeing far too many lives being cut short due to violence and few communities have felt the impact of these killings more than El Barrio/East Harlem. Though two of these three incidents did not occur in our community, it is no secret that we have also experienced a serious increase in shootings and other forms of violence here in our neighborood, particularly among our youth. We must all continue to come together and reaffirm that this violence must be stopped. On behalf of my entire community, I send our deepest condolences to the family and friends of these three young victims and all youth who have been tragically and prematurely taken from us due to violence."

Council Members Send Letter to Mayor Urging Him to Take Position on Rent Laws

In the final two weeks of the state legislative session, Melissa spearheaded a joint letter sent by 23 Council Members to Mayor Bloomberg, urging him to take a public position in support of the strengthening and renewal of rent protections for New York City residents. While these laws were ultimately renewed and did include some positive changes, the Mayor's voice was noticeably absent from the debate. We have not yet received a response from the Mayor's Office. The letter can be read at http://scr.bi/loq1Ea.

El Barrio/East Harlem Age Improvement District and Parks Department Launch Senior Hours at Jefferson Pool

Yesterday was the official launch of hours exclusively for seniors at El Barrio/East Harlem's Jefferson Pool. Our office helped kick off this exciting new initiative with a Senior Pool Party, held in conjunction with Age Friendly NYC, the Parks Department and the New York Academy of Medicine. Senior Pool Hours will be held every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am during the months of July and August at Jefferson Pool (112th Street and 1st Avenue). These special pool hours represent the latest initiative to come out of the El Barrio/East Harlem Age Improvement District (AID), which is coordinated jointly by the New York Academy of Medicine and our office and seeks to make our neighborhood more livable for older adults. Our AID is the first to launch in the city, and El Barrio/East Harlem is the first community in New York City to have specialized hours for seniors to swim in a public pool. The idea for senior pool hours emerged directly from surveys completed by local older adults as part of the AID initiative. Seniors expressed a desire to take advantage of the health and recreational benefits of swimming but were hesitant to do so at times when pools were more crowded with children and families.

Melissa Joins Mayor Bloomberg, Mark Teixeira and Harlem RBI in Announcing Innovative Housing and School Project Coming to El Barrio/East Harlem.

Melissa joined Mayor Bloomberg, New York Yankee Mark Teixeira, Rich Berlin of Harlem RBI and others in announcing an exciting project spearheaded by Harlem RBI that will create new affordable housing and space for the Dream Charter School in El Barrio/East Harlem. Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott, NYCHA Chairman John Rhea and Manhattan Community Board 11 Chair Matthew Washington also joined in the press conference. Melissa also allocated $500,000 in capital funds to the affordable housing portion of this project in the Fiscal Year 2012 budget. "This innovative partnership demonstrates the possibilities for the use of NYCHA's land in a way that benefits its residents and the surrounding community," said Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito. "This project brings new 100% income-targeted housing into our neighborhood that is so desperately needed, and represents an exciting step forward for Harlem RBI, which has a history of providing such great services to our local young people. The project also stands to benefit public housing residents in a big way, with dedicated school seats and priority affordable units for NYCHA residents. Best of all, the housing will remain affordable for decades to come, as it will ultimately be sold back to NYCHA. I welcome this project in my community of El Barrio/East Harlem and thank Mayor Bloomberg, Chancellor Walcott, Chairman Rhea and all others who have made this possible."

Melissa Responds to Historic Passage of Marriage Equality Legislation

Melissa hailed the historic passage of marriage equality legislation in the State of New York on June 25th. In the weeks prior, she had helped spearhead efforts to highlight the Latino voice in the debate over marriage equality. Visit http://bit.ly/q0ydmR for a video from a press conference held by Latino leaders in support of this legislation. Here is an excerpt of her statement issued on the evening of the legislation's passage: "Today marks a truly historic victory in the struggle for equal rights for LGBT New Yorkers. Lesbian and gay couples will finally have their love for one another recognized by our state and will be afforded with all of the benefits and protections that they need and deserve... I want to thank the Governor and all of those State Legislators who supported this legislation, particularly Senator Tom Duane and Assemblyman Danny O'Donnell, Mayor Bloomberg for his efforts and all of the advocates and community members who have fought so that we could arrive at this incredible moment. I would most especially like to congratulate Speaker Christine Quinn on this momentous victory for equality and justice in our state, which was made possible in large part thanks to her tireless advocacy."

Melissa Continues the Fight Against NYPD's Overzealous Marijuana Arrest Practices

Melissa joined a rally in late May held by VOCAL-NY near Mayor Bloomberg's home to criticize the NYPD's aggressive marijuana arrest practices, which disproportionately target communities of color and cost the City at least $75 million per year. Video from the rally is available at http://bit.ly/nCBa7a. She also spearheaded a joint statement by Council Members responding to comments made by Frank Barry, a spokesperson for Mayor Bloomberg, regarding the city's marijuana arrest policy and pending legislation at the state level (S.5187 / A. 7620) that would de-criminalize the public display of small amounts of marijuana. To read the statement, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-G3. Melissa is in the process of drafting a City Council resolution in support of bipartisan legislation introduced in the State Legislature that would de-criminalize displaying marijuana in public view. Currently, possession of small amounts of marijuana is already de-criminalized under State law. However, when police perform stop and frisks, they routinely ask that individuals empty their pockets. If they take out marijuana, it is considered to be in public view and can be punished by arrest.

Melissa Speaks Out Against Five Borough Taxi Plan

Melissa joined a large protest of livery cab drivers and base owners who were speaking out against the Five Borough Taxi Plan, previously being pushed by the administration, which sought to expand street hail service in the outer boroughs and Manhattan above 96th Street, where yellow cabs do not typically go. The original plan aimed to sell new yellow cab medallions, which come with licenses for a new class of livery cabs that have the ability to do street pick ups in the outer boroughs and Northern Manhattan. Livery base owners, who have traditionally provided pre-arranged cab services in communities underserved by yellow cabs, worried that they would be displaced by this new plan, while livery drivers expressed strong concerns that the $600,000 to $900,000 cost of these new medallions is far out of reach for them. Thanks to this strong mobilization, the administration reversed the plan, and pursued a new course in the State Legislature that will allow livery drivers to do street pickups in the outer boroughs and Manhattan above Central Park by purchasing a much more affordable license.

Puerto Rican Elected Officials Express Concern Over Proposed Natural Gas Pipeline Project in Puerto Rico

Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito and seven of her Puerto Rican colleagues in government from New York sent a letter to U.S. Army Secretary John M. McHugh, Secretary and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) District Commander Alfred Pantano to express their strong opposition to the "Via Verde" natural gas pipeline project in Puerto Rico<http://casapuebloorg.blogspot.com/p/no-al-gasoducto.html> (A copy can be viewed athttp://scr.bi/mATdHJ). New York State Assembly Members Carmen Arroyo, Marcos Crespo and Robert Rodriguez and City Council Members Joel Rivera, Sara Gonzalez, Rosie Mendez and Annabel Palma joined Council Member Viverito in citing serious concerns over the potential for an environmental disaster as a result of this project as well as the lack of public process as the Puerto Rican government made its decision to support the project. The elected officials who signed this letter demanded that a thorough and transparent process be conducted in order to assure that the well-being of the Puerto Rican people affected by this project is preserved. The signers have asked that USACE slow down the process by denying all requests for permits until public hearings can be held and a thorough environmental impact study can be conducted.

After 60 Years of Business, East Harlem's Claudio the Barber Facing Eviction

Melissa joined Congressman Charlie Rangel and Assemblyman Robert Rodriguez at Claudio's Barber Shop on 116th Street near First Avenue to show their support as the shop faces eviction, after 60 years of doing business in the neighborhood. Claudio Caponigro, 80-years-old, recently learned that his landlord is seeking to nearly triple the rent for the location, which Claudio says would force him to close his doors. Melissa would like to see the barber shop stay in the community, and has offered her support as Claudio explores his options. She has also called for a commercial rent regulation program that would prevent local small businesses from being displaced by escalating rents.

HUD Awards First-Ever Grant to Combat Childhood Asthma in El Barrio/East Harlem

Melissa joined Adolfo Carrión, Regional Administration of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Congressman Charles Rangel, NYCHA, New York Academy of Medicine and Little Sisters of the Assumption (LSA) Family Health Service to announce a three-year, $549,000 federal grant to combat asthma among children in El Barrio/East Harlem. The grant will focus on efforts to improve indoor environmental conditions and promote education and medical services for asthmatic children and other local residents living in public and subsidized housing. This is the first time ever that HUD has awarded a grant to combat indoor asthma triggers. Approximately 18.5% of East Harlem children ages 4-5 have asthma, double the New York City and national prevalence rate; 23% of children ages 5-12 in the area suffer from asthma; students of Puerto Rican descent approach 35%. Asthma is now recognized as a leading cause of school and work absences, emergency room visits and hospitalizations among low-income minority populations in communities like East Harlem.

Updates on Legislation

Melissa Re-Introduces Bill to Protect Tenants Receiving Public Subsidies

Melissa has re-introduced a piece of legislation which will prohibit the City from placing individuals receiving public funds or subsidies in a building where a court has found violations of the Tenant Protection Act of 2008 three or more times within the previous five years. This legislation, if enacted, will prevent the most unscrupulous landlords from benefiting from City tax dollars and help protect some of our most vulnerable tenants from placements where they may be subject to harassment.

Opportunities

Visit our new District 8 Volunteer Opportunities page: www.mmviverito.com/volunteer<http://www.mmviverito.com/volunteer>.

The Community Development Project of the Harlem Community Law Office

The Project advises and represents small businesses and not-for-profit organizations. Those seeking assistance should call for an intake appointment at (212) 426-3000<tel:%28212%29%20426-3000>.

NBC's 'The Biggest Loser' Now Casting Season 13!

NBC will be holding a casting session in New York City for its upcoming season on July 30th. For more information, visit www.thebiggestlosercasting.com<http://www.thebiggestlosercasting.com>.

Upcoming Events

Free Workshop: Printmaking for Kids!
When: Saturday, July 9th, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Where: 1699 Lexington Avenue/Basement Level
Artist Ellen Coleman Izzo will teach printmaking techniques and discuss her artistic responses to issues of homelessness. Participants will design and cut their own print plates to create individual portfolios to take home. To sign up, contact Alyssa Fridgen at alyssamf at gmail.com or 347-804-8336.

Sandbox Dance - African Music and Movement Programs
When: Tuesday, July 12th, 11:00am - 12:00pm
Where: East 110th Street Playground, Central Park
Children and their adult caregivers are invited to join percussionist and composer Michael Wimberly, singer, dancer, and storyteller Dyane Harvey, and friends for lively, interactive music and movement activities from Africa and the African diaspora. These programs are recommended for children 3-8 years old and are co-presented with the Central Park Conservancy. The program is free.

Havana in East Harlem
When: Thursday, July 14th, 6:30pm
Where: Casa de la Americas, 182 East 111th Street (between Lexington and Third Ave)
Bringing a bit of the Cuban Revolution to East Harlem. Celebrating with a Cuban film, Cuban Music, Cuban Mojitos and an update on the Cuban 5. For more info call (718) 601-4751.

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Annual Procession
When: Friday, July 15th, 9:00pm and Saturday, July 16th, 11:00am
Where: Begins at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel RC Church, 449 East 115th Street (between Pleasant/First Avenue)
This event continues a tradition brought to East Harlem by immigrants from Italy more than 100 years ago. In the 1930s, the festa drew tens of thousands of people from across the city. The icon of the saint (brought from Italy in 19th century) is paraded on a float through the streets of East Harlem.

MWA's City of Water Day
When: Saturday, July 16th, 2011, 10:00am - 5:00pm
Where: Harlem River Park, East 132nd to East 142nd Streets
Activities include Walking for Health, "Cast a Line" Fishing Contest, Learning How to Row, Family Picnic, Large Scale Art Murals Tour, Arts Exhibition, 369th Harlem Hellfighters, East and Central Harlem OEM CERT Teams and an Information Table.

East Harlem Film Competition
When: Submit application and completed videos by July 18th
Where: debut your videos at the Hacia Afuera Festival in East Harlem (below)
For youth ages 15-18 and young adults ages 19-24. Short films up to 6 minutes with 5.0 MP or higher. Go to www.artforchange.org<http://www.artforchange.org/> for the application and more information.

Carnaval del Barrio
When: Sunday, July 31st - All Day
Where: East 116th Street
The three day festival promotes Puerto Rican cultural arts, music and dance.

Annual Giglio di Sant' Antonio Feast
When: August 11th - August 14th
Where: East 116th Street/Pleasant Avenue

Hacia Afuera 2011: The Fruits of Our Labor
When: August 13th - August 14th
Where: TBA
Hacia Afuera, "to go outside", takes place in Spanish Harlem's streets and showcases outdoor art exhibitions throughout the playgrounds and gardens of El Barrio/East Harlem, infused with musical rhythms, spoken words, storytelling, film screenings, and live theater performances by local artists.

Free Yoga Class
When: Every Thursday, 1:00pm - 2:30pm
Where: The Puerto Rican Cultural Heritage House, 1230 Fifth Avenue, Suite 458
Just bring a towel and water.

Harvest Home Metropolitan Farmer's Market
When: Every Friday between July and November
Where: 99th Street, between 3rd and 2nd Avenues

St. Michael's Summer Movie Nights
When: July 13th ("Departures"), July 27th ("God Grew Tired of Us"), August 3rd ("Very Young Girls"), August 10th ("Shortcut to Nirvana"), August 17th ("17 Twenty-Four Eyes"), August 24th ("The Motorcycle Diaries), 7:00pm
Where: Amsterdam Avneue and West 99th Street
For more information call (212)-222-2700. Discussion follows each film.

Women's Health and Beauty Fair
When: Sunday, July 17th, 9:00am - 6:00pm
Where: W. 104 St. between Columbus & Amsterdam Avenue
For more info, call (212)-749-0781.

Health Fair Festival
When: Saturday, July 23rd, 10am-5pm
Where: W. 107 St. between. Columbus. and Manhattan Avenue
For more info & appointment (917)-405-8997.

Walking Tours
When: Wednesday, July 27th and Wednesday, August 24th, 6:30pm
Where: Broadway & W. 96 St. SE corner [Time Warner store] Old Bloomingdale: Lenape Indians to Obama. Hosted by historian Jim Mackin. Registration suggested. For info (212)-666-9774. Free

Cultural Fair and Walk-A-Thon
When: Saturday, August 13th, 10am-3pm
Where: Annual Cultural Street Fair W. 108 St. between. Columbus. & Amsterdam. Avenue
When: Sunday, August 14th, 11am-3pm
Where: Walk-A-Thon From Riverside Dr. to W. 108 St.,
For info (212)-749-0781

Annual El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Fair
When: Friday, August 26th, 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
Where: E. 104th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
For more info, contact Elsie Encarnacion (212-828-9800 or eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov<mailto:eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov>).

The 5th Annual East Harlem Multi-Cultural Festival
When: Every Saturday through to September 24th, 12:00pm to 6:00pm
Where: La Placita de La Marqueta, 115 & 116 Street and Park Avenue
For more info call Albert Medina (212)-427-31300

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com<mailto:newsfrommelissa at gmail.com> with the information. Event info sent to other addresses may not be published in the newsletter.

This is only a selection of local events. Additional events in our district can be found at http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm (El Barrio/East Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events (the West Side).

Also, please see the following Community Boards' calendars for information on board and committee meetings dealing with local issues:

* Community Board 11<http://www.cb11m.org/event> (El Barrio/East Harlem)
* Community Board 7<http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/html/calendar/calendar_monthly.shtml> (Upper West Side)
* Community Board 1<http://www.bronxmall.com/commboards/monthcalendar1.html> (Bronx)

Getting Involved

The Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El Barrio/East Harlem community, particularly among our youth. Melissa has created the East Harlem/ El Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response to the increase in violence among youth. The task force has been meeting for over a month and we hope you all will join in and be a part of this movement going forward. Only through working together will this issue be at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some information on our task force. If you are interested in being on our listserv, please send an e-mail to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov and you will be added immediately. To read more about the Task Force visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-x9.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. For more information, visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CJ. To inquire about the next meeting call Joey Pressley at 212-828-9800.

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CN or contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, visit http://harlemafricanburialground.wordpress.com/.

District 8 Immigrant Service Network

This initiative was born out of a desire to support each other as service providers and advocates working with the immigrant community in District 8. The network is open to organizations interested in collaborating and sharing information relating to programming and services, and in discussing issues of immigrant rights, the political environment, and the challenges facing the immigrant community in the district. For more info, please contact Joey Pressley at 212-828-9800 or jpressley at council.nyc.gov<mailto:jpressley at council.nyc.gov> or visit http://wp.me/PJ9TG-CH.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street
New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

A Note about Bronx & West Side Office Hours

Our Bronx and West Side Office Hours are on hiatus as we search for new locations that we hope will better serve our constituents in need of services. We will update the Community Board as to our new location as soon as it is confirmed. Of course, our West Side constituents are always welcome to call our District Office (212-828-9800) for services, and are also welcome to come in person for on Constituent Walk-In Days (Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at 105 E. 116th Street, between Lexington and Park Avenues). Thank you for your continued patience!

Joe Taranto
Deputy Chief of Staff
Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito
250 Broadway, Room 1882
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 788-6960
Fax: (212) 442-1564

Please visit our blog: www.mmviverito.com<http://www.mmviverito.com>
Follow us on Twitter: @MMViverito
Subscribe to our listersev: http://tinyurl.com/mmvsubscribe

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL or PRIVILEGED material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive communications through this medium, please so advise the sender immediately.