[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - February 2011 [Revised]

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Wed Feb 16 12:46:45 EST 2011

February 2011

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://mmviverito.com <http://mmviverito.com/>

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb
<https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyur
l.com/mmvfb>

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MMViverito

Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv
<https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mmv.vo
dspot.tv/>

Visit our Parks Committee Blog: http://parksnyc.wordpress.com
<http://parksnyc.wordpress.com/>

Encourage your friends and neighbors to subscribe to our listserv by
completing our new online form: http://tinyurl.com/mmvsubcribe
<https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyur
l.com/mmvsubcribe>

Recent News and Events

Updates on the El Barrio/ East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force

The El Barrio/East Harlem Youth Violence Task Force continues to meet to
discuss the issue of violence amongst the youth in the community. Our
next meeting will be Wednesday, February16th at 4:30PM. Melissa formed
this Task Force in response to the growing concerns of violence in our
community and is committed to bringing us all together to address this
issue and brainstorm on innovative ideas that will lead to solid,
collaborative solutions. I look forward to including more groups and
community leaders in these discussions as we move forward. The Task
Force is working on a series of community events where we hope to bring
together local community residents, police precincts, public schools and
other interested community leaders to discuss openly the issue of
violence, its causes and possible solutions. The first event will be
held on March 10, 2010. If you are interested in being a part of the
Task Force send an email to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov or call Elsie
Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Melissa Writes to Parks Department Regarding Offensive Statue Outside
Central Park

Melissa sent a letter to the Department of Parks & Recreation regarding
an offensive statue outside of Central Park in El Barrio/East Harlem,
asking that the statue's location be reconsidered, and also inquiring
regarding broader policies on statues and monuments that communities may
find offensive. This statue was the subject of an article in Sunday's
New York Post, as well as DNA Info and WPIX Channel 11 News. The statue
in question honors Dr. Marion Sims, who helped make advancements in
women's health, but who did so by performing experimental surgeries,
without anesthesia, on female slaves. The letter is available at:
http://wp.me/pJ9TG-y1. We would like to thank East Harlem Preservation
for their consistency in advocating on this issue.

Melissa Stands with CM Brewer and Community in Opposing Transitional
Shelter on W. 94th Street

Melissa attended a press conference held by Council Member Brewer and
local community members opposing the City's decision to convert a former
illegal hotel on W. 94th Street into a transitional shelter. Melissa
has joined with those who have called for the conversion of former
illegal hotels like the Alexander into permanent affordable housing.
Last year, DHS proposed placing a transitional shelter at 237 W. 107th
Street for nine years. Following pressure from Melissa, CB7 and
community leaders, DHS, under Commissioner Robert Hess, reduced the
amount of time that the shelter would operate in the building and also
formed a Community Advisory Board, which has helped address neighbors'
concerns. Unfortunately, DHS has not been as willing to engage in a
productive dialogue with the local community surrounding the Alexander
Hotel, under the leadership of Commissioner Seth Diamond. Melissa
continues to call on DHS and all City agencies to be more responsive to
community concerns and inclusive of local residents' input.

MTA Will Search for Remains at East Harlem Burial Ground

Early last year, we announced the formation of the Harlem African Burial
Ground Task Force, a joint effort between our office, the Elmendorf
Reformed Church and other community leaders, which intended to preserve
and memorialize the history of the burial ground, which is located on
126th Street and 1st Avenue. We are pleased to report that after a
great deal of advocacy, the MTA has confirmed that the bus depot on
126th Street was in fact built on top of a colonial-era African burial
ground. They have also said that they will conduct further
archeological tests in search of artifacts and remains before the
planned renovation of the depot begins. In light of these developments,
we have been advocating for the Commissioner of the Department of
Transportation to meet with the Task Force, as they are also planning
construction on the Willis Avenue Bridge, which would impact this site.
We will urge DOT to give the same consideration that the MTA is giving
prior to engaging in that project. Ultimately, we will work to ensure
that a memorial is created on this site of such great importance for our
neighborhood and for the African American community.

Attention Local Organizations and Schools: Discretionary Expense and
Capital Funding Applications are Now Available

The application for Fiscal Year 2012 discretionary expense funding is
now available, and is due no later than March 24, 2011. All application
materials and instructions are posted on our blog:
www.mmviverito.com/budget. If you have applied for Council funding
before, you will notice that there are some substantial changes to the
process this year. For that reason, we strongly encourage you to
carefully read the instructions and tips on our blog
(www.mmviverito.com/budget), as well as those on the Council's website,
to ensure that you are prepared to complete your application correctly
and on time. We will be holding an information session on this year's
budget process in our District Office for all groups that would like to
walk through the application materials and ask questions. That info
session will be held on Friday, February 25th at 1:00 p.m. at 105 East
116th Street (between Lexington and Park Avenues). To ensure that we
have sufficient space and materials, please RSVP to mmvbudget at gmail.com
by February 21st.

PCBs in Public Schools

Our office has been working the New York Communities for Change on the
issue of elevated levels of toxic chemicals known as PCBs in public
schools. EPA inspections showed that PCBs (short for polychlorinated
byphenyls) had leaked or were actively leaking from old light fixtures
at P.S. 206, P.S. 37 and P.S. 112 all located in the same building at
508 E. 120th St. We will continue to work with these entities to ensure
that our school buildings are a healthy and safe learning environments
for all students.

Two East Harlem Women-Owned Small Businesses Profiled in Daily News,
After Selection for Goldman Sachs Entrepreneurship Program

Michelle Cruz, owner of the East Harlem Cafe and Sharon Sinaswee, owner
of Armada Building Services, Inc., both based in El Barrio/East Harlem,
were recently profiled in two New York Daily News articles, after being
selected for an entrepreneurship program run by Goldman Sachs. Ms. Cruz
and Ms. Sinaswee were two of 23 local businesses who received training
and assistance through the "10,000 Small Businesses" program. To read
the full story, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-xp.

Education Updates: Melissa Sends a Letter to Chancellor Black Regarding
Co-Locations and Submits Testimony Opposing Success Academy at Brandeis
Complex

Melissa has sent a letter to Schools Chancellor Cathie Black regarding
the impact of school co-locations in all parts of our district. In El
Barrio/East Harlem, these co-location arrangements, whereby new schools
(often charters) are placed within existing school buildings, are
already common, and we have seen increasing proposals to establish
similar arrangements on the West Side and in the South Bronx. Melissa
opposes co-locations, since they force schools, some of which are
already struggling, to share limited space and resources, only further
inhibiting their ability to succeed. Meanwhile, Melissa also submitted
testimony opposing the co-location of the Upper West Success Academy at
the Brandeis Educational Complex on West 84th Street. The Success
Academy had previously been proposed to co-locate with PS 145 and PS 165
in our district. To read the letter and testimony, please visit
http://wp.me/pJ9TG-xj.

Melissa Forms the District 8 Immigrant Service Network

On Thursday, February 10, 2011, over 30 people representing more than 20
organizations from all corners of District 8 came together for the first
meeting of the District 8 Immigrant Service Network. The Network is a
new initiative intended to provide opportunities for collaboration and
information sharing among service providers and advocates working with
the immigrant community. At the first meeting, Melissa addressed the
group and spoke about legislative issues of concern to the immigrant
community, such as calling for an end to the partnership between the New
York City Department of Corrections and Immigration Enforcement in
Rikers Island Jail. Meeting participants discussed challenges they are
facing in providing services to immigrant community members, and ideas
for how the Network can be supportive to all of us in our work. For
more information please contact Rachel in our office, at
rfrey at council.nyc.gov, or 212-828-9800.

Updates on Efforts to Stop Walmart from Coming into NYC

This month, the City Council held a rally and hearing on Walmart's plans
to move to New York City. Melissa opposes the opening of Walmart stores
in New York City because of the company's history of labor rights
abuses, their refusal to allow workers to unionize and their impact on
local small businesses. At the hearing, academics, small business owners
and other community leaders testified regarding Walmart's record in
other cities, which has not ultimately resulted in more jobs for
low-income neighborhoods, since while it has created new jobs, it also
has led to the loss of jobs at surrounding small businesses. While
Walmart is reportedly looking at a particular site in East New York, in
Brooklyn, East Harlem has also been cited as a potential location for a
Walmart store.

Progressive Caucus Responds to Mayor Bloomberg's 2011 State of the City
Address

Here is an excerpt from the response of the Progressive Caucus to the
State of the City address. Please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-wp to read
the full statement: "The Mayor spoke to the need to attract tourists,
college graduates and white-collar entrepreneurs, but we heard nothing
about how we can create living-wage jobs for New Yorkers who are
struggling to make a living here. The jobs that are being created in our
city tend to pay low wages, often without benefits or even the ability
to take a day off when you're sick. And homelessness remains near its
all-time high... Mayor Bloomberg said no today to any new taxes - but
our current tax structure is unfair and regressive. That's why the
Progressive Caucus has proposed a temporary income tax surcharge on
household incomes over $250,000 - to recapture the windfall that
Congressional Republicans won for the wealthiest 2% of households."

Melissa Responds to Mayor Bloomberg's Gun Control Efforts

Here is an excerpt from the statement. The full version can be found at
http://wp.me/pJ9TG-wQ. "Yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg held an emotional
press conference at City Hall to announce his renewed nationwide push
for much-needed reforms to our gun control laws. He stood surrounded by
individuals from across the U.S. who told stories of how they have been
affected by gun violence. Three of these 34 courageous speakers came
from El Barrio/East Harlem and the Bronx - including family members of
Naiesha Pearson, Rory Forehand and Cheyenne Baez, who were senselessly
killed on our streets. Sadly, we are seeing an alarming increase in gun
violence in my district, with the homicide rate in East Harlem tripling
last year, and shootings at public housing in East Harlem and Harlem
increasing two-fold. This increased wave of violence has prompted my
office to form the Youth Violence Task Force and to explore other means
of addressing this growing problem... I would like to thank Mayor
Bloomberg for his leadership at a national level to promote sensible
reforms to our gun laws, such as fixing the broken background check
system, closing all loopholes and requiring checks for every gun sale in
the U.S."

Melissa Joins in the Unveiling of a New Social Media Campaign by the
National Black Leadership Commission on AIDS

Last Monday was National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. Melissa joined
the National Black Leadership Commission on AIDS (NBLCA)
<http://www.nblca.org/> at a press conference, as they announced a new
online social media campaign targeting African American communities.
Former Manhattan Borough President C. Virgina Fields is now the
President and CEO of NBLCA and led the press conference, which was also
joined by Council Member Jumaane Williams. African Americans account
for 44 percent of all HIV/AIDS cases in New York State, even though they
only make up 17 percent of the state's population. For this reason,
NBLCA has launched the "30 Years Strong! Together We Will Win" campaign
<http://www.nblca.org/?page_id=1932> , to utilize social media to
encourage African Americans to get tested, while also pushing for policy
changes and additional funding to support efforts to stop the spread of
HIV/AIDS among black communities. It will also give HIV-positive
African Americans the chance to share their stories. For more
information, visit NBLCA's website at www.nblca.org
<http://www.nblca.org/> . Council Members Viverito and Williams also
presented a proclamation from members of the Black, Latino and Asian
Caucus for NBLCA. Each year, the City Council allocates millions of
dollars in initiatives that seek to address the disproportionate impact
of HIV/AIDS among communities of color.

Progressive Caucus Responds to Gov. Cuomo's Budget: Watch that Axe!
There are Some Cuts New Yorkers Can't Afford

Here is an excerpt from the response of the Progressive Caucus to the
Governor's budget. Please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-xu to read the full
statement: "Governor Cuomo's budget
<http://governor.ny.gov/press/020111transformationplan> chops at some
trees without realizing that he's damaging a forest. Income inequality
is greater in New York than any other state in the country, and New
Yorkers can't afford the costs of the Governor and Legislature cutting
education, health care, transit, human services and the other
quality-of-life services we value and need. We need a judicious balance
between New York's short-term and long-term economic needs or we will
have far more serious problems than the budget itself."

Updates on Legislation

City Council to Adopt Resolution Calling for the Reinstatement of
Congressional Voting Rights to Puerto Rico, Washington D.C. and U.S.
Territories

Melissa has introduced a resolution calling on the U.S. Congress to
reinstate the voting rights of the Puerto Rican Resident Commissioner
and other delegates. Previously, the Resident Commissioner and
delegates from Washington D.C., American Samoa, Guam, the Northern
Mariana Islands and the Virgin Islands had the ability to vote on
amendments. Under the new Republican-controlled Congress, one of the
first resolutions passed by the House of Represenatives removed those
already limited voting rights, which they have held since 1993. The
resolution is expected to be passed by the entire City Council at
tomorrow's Stated Meeting.

Melissa Introduces Bill Requiring Landlords to Provide Tenants with
E-mail Addresses

Melissa has introduced legislation with Council Members Dan Garodnick
and Margaret Chin that will require landlords to provide tenants and the
City with valid e-mail addresses where they can be reached (Intro
459-2011). This measure will enable tenants to communicate with their
landlords electronically and could help establish a chain of
communication regarding needed repairs and other housing issues.

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

A 2011 Cultural Community Event: Finding Funds and Resources for Your
Art (Co-Sponsored by Art for Change)

When: Thursday, February 17th, 6-8 pm

Where: Art for Change Gallery, 1699 Lexington Avenue, Basement South

Free admission. Seminar presented by Haowen Wang. Please RSVP at
http://2011findingresources.eventbrite.com
<http://2011findingresources.eventbrite.com/> . For more info, contact
Karen Demavivas at kdemavivas at nyfa.org or 212-366-6900 x249.

Musica de Camara Celebrates 31 Years of Excellence in Classical Music
with a Special Concert

When: Friday, February 18th at 7:00 pm

Where: St. Cecilia's Church on East 106th Street

Featuring music by Puerto Rican and Latino classical music composers.
$15 donation at reception. For more information, contact Eva de la O at
212-410-5612.

Whole Foods Jazz Legend Spring Series
When: Friday, February 18th (Sweet Georgia Brown) and Friday, February
25th (Steve Berrios), 5-7 pm

Where: 808 Columbus Ave. & 97 St.

Free admission. For more info, call 212-666-6160

NYC Community Garden Coalition Town Hall Meeting

When: Saturday, February 19th, 10 am - 2 pm

Where: St. Mark's Church, 131 East 10th Street

RSVP online at NYCCGC.org or call 888-311-3993.

103rd Street Community Garden Design Presentation

When: Saturday, February 19th, 11:30 am

Where: Mt. Sinai Center for Advanced Medicine, 17 E. 102nd Street, West
Lobby, 5th Floor Classroom

RSVP at 212-333-2552 or pevanson at nyrp.org.

Music at El Taller Latino: Buenos Aires Guitarist Cecilia Zabala
When: Saturday, February 19th, 8:00 pm

Where: 2710 Broadway

$15 admission. For more info, call 212-665-9460

Dominican Heritage Celebration (Sponsored by Dominican Sunday)

When: Sunday, February 27th, 2-5 pm

Where: 221 W. 107th Street

Free admission. Music, dance, folklore, art; awards ceremony. For more
info, call 212-749-0781.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please
send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with the information. Event
info sent to other addresses may not be published in the newsletter.

This is only a selection of local events. Additional events in our
district can be found at
http://www.eastharlempreservation.org/docs/events.htm (El Barrio/East
Harlem) and http://www.columbusamsterdambid.org/events (the West Side).

Also, please see the following Community Boards' calendars for
information on board and committee meetings dealing with local issues:

* Community Board 11 <http://www.cb11m.org/event> (El Barrio/East
Harlem)
* Community Board 7
<http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/html/calendar/calendar_monthly.shtml>
(Upper West Side)
* Community Board 1
<http://www.bronxmall.com/commboards/monthcalendar1.html> (Bronx)

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's
youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their
surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities
that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education
Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the
importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves.
The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New
York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change
You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on
Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information
contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

The Youth Violence Task Force

Unfortunately, we are experiencing a rise in violence in the El
Barrio/East Harlem community, particularly among our youth. Melissa has
created the East Harlem/ El Barrio Youth Violence Task Force in response
to the increase in violence among youth. The task force has been meeting
for over a month and we hope you all will join in and be a part of this
movement going forward. Only through working together will this issue be
at the forefront of our community's priorities. Below is some
information on our task force. If you are interested in being on our
listserv, please send an e-mail to eencarnacion at council.nyc.gov and you
will be added immediately. To read more about the Task Force visit
http://wp.me/pJ9TG-qb.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization
(CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who
collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords,
investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our
community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through
community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right
behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by
providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the
next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens
who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore
and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial
African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets.
ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also
known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church
building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter
acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as
the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground).
To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and
Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to
1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

February 28th from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

February 10th and 24th from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THESE OFFICE HOURS!

To unsubscribe from our listserv, please send an email to
newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with 'Unsubscribe' in the subject line. You
will be promptly removed from our list.

Joe Taranto

Legislative & Budget Director

Office of Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito

250 Broadway, Room 1882

New York, NY, 10007

Phone: (212) 788-6960

Fax: (212) 442-1564