[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - September 2010

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Tue Sep 7 11:29:48 EDT 2010

September 2010

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation
* Opportunities
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com>

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb>

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa>

Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv <https://webmail.council.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>

Recent News and Events

The Fourth Annual Teen Fair Most Successful Yet

On August 19th, we held our 4th Annual Teen Fair. Hundreds of people came out to enjoy the food and live performances. We gave away several backpacks filled with school supplies for young people. Almost 200 teens signed up to keep in touch with our office's efforts to engage youth and . Throughout the day, we encouraged young people to share with the attendees positive changes that they would like to see in the neighborhood. Most youth responded that they would like to see an end to violence among teens, better schools and cleaner streets.

Update: El Barrio/East Harlem Aging Improvement District

Last Tuesday, we held a free luncheon for older adults in East Harlem, as part of our efforts with the Aging Improvement District initiative, which we have piloted in the neighborhood. Over 200 seniors attended and were joined by Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe and NYCHA Chairman John Rhea. The seniors shared their opinions on how East Harlem can be improved to make it more age-friendly, and also watched a short film about older adults in East Harlem. Commissioner Benepe committed to explore opening up the pool at Jefferson Park next summer for a special session for older adults in the mornings and Chairman Rhea said he would look into opening, where possible, laundry rooms in NYCHA senior buildings.

Updates on Jewish Home Lifecare and Park West Village

Melissa's office has requested that JHL hold an open public forum to provide the Park West Village community and surrounding neighborhood an update on their latest plans to build a facility on W. 100th Street. JHL has agreed to the request. We will work to coordinate this event with them early this fall, and will ensure that the invitation is disseminated throughout the neighborhood. Melissa also sent a letter to the State Hospital Review and Planning Council in support of a request for the State Department of Health to hold public hearings and solicit feedback from the community on JHL's application for approval from the Department.

Update: Community Gardens

Last month, Melissa testified at a Parks Department hearing on new rules concerning community gardens. She called on the Department to provide the maximum protections possible for our community gardens, as the City Council develops longer-term strategies that will help make current gardens permanent while encouraging the creation of more gardens in our city. Melissa also published an Op-Ed in the New York Times which can be read here: http://nyti.ms/bMtgL5. To watch Melissa speak in support of the gardeners, visit http://bit.ly/9Zw28Z. We are currently awaiting the revised rules from the Parks Department. Please check our blog regularly for updates on community gardens. A list of community gardens in District 8 is now available on our blog at: http://wp.me/PJ9TG-lo.

Learn About NYC's New Voting Machines!

Primary Day and Election Day are fast approaching. Be sure to attend one of the events being held throughout the city or review instructions at the Board of Elections website (http://bit.ly/b5Jxps) to learn how to use the city's new voting machines to ensure that your vote is counted this year. Click here for a list of events: http://bit.ly/c2KFMx.

Melissa Celebrates the Opening of the Haven Academy's New School Building in the Bronx

Last week, Melissa joined students, parents and faculty in celebrating the opening of a new building which will house the Mott Haven Academy Charter School in the Bronx. Haven Academy partners with New York Foundling to provide additional services focused on children that are in foster care or receiving preventive services, who make up two-thirds of the school's current enrollment. The new energy efficient school building provides a full academic program, prevention programs and support services for families, social services counselors, a medical clinic that offers free healthcare for families without insurance, as well as afterschool and arts programs for students.

Seniors Enjoy a Performance by Pregones at Local Community Garden

On August 20th, Melissa's office sponsored a special performance by Pregones Theater called El Apagón/The Blackout. It was a beautiful day and dozens of seniors came out to watch the play, which was in both English and Spanish.

Melissa Publishes Opinion Piece on Synthetic Turf on CityLimits.org

Melissa has written a new opinion piece for CityLimits.org on the issue of synthetic turf in New York City's public parks and playing fields, citing the dangers and concerns associated with this surface material, and the need for policymakers to take a careful approach that balances the need for recreational green space with the protection of New Yorkers using these fields. To read this article, visit http://bit.ly/diKIP4.

President of SMART Receives Special Honor for Her Work with HIV Positive Women

Susan Rodriguez, President and Founding Director of Sisterhood Mobilized for AIDS/HIV Research & Treatment (SMART), a group that has done a great deal of work with women in El Barrio/East Harlem, has been given the 2010 Community Health Leaders Award by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Susan Rodriguez brings deep personal experience to the work she does to educate women on HIV/AIDS. In the mid-1990s, Susan was found to be HIV positive, after learning about her husband's infection with AIDS. Her husband subsequently passed away and one of her children was also diagnosed with HIV, which she had acquired perinatally. Soon after her diagnosis, Susan realized that women's needs for education about HIV/AIDS were simply not being met, particularly in communities of color, and thus founded SMART in 1998 in El Barrio/East Harlem. The SMART University program provides treatment, health and prevention education for women living with and affected by HIV/AIDS in a safe and supportive environment. For more information on this holistic and innovative program, visit http://bit.ly/diKIP4. Melissa has been proud to provide discretionary funding to SMART during her time at the City Council. We congratulate Susan on this wonderful honor!

Updates on Legislation

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­City Council Adopts Melissa's Corporate Landlord Registration Bill

At last month's Stated Meeting, the City Council voted unanimously to adopt Intro 87-A, the Corporate Landlord Registration bill sponsored by Melissa. When signed into law by the Mayor, this bill will require the corporate owners of residential buildings (such as LLCs) to disclose the names and contact information of their principal partners, while also prohibiting the use of mail handling facility addresses in landlords' registration statements to the city. Previously, corporate landlords were not required to disclose the names of individual partners, and many of these entities registered addresses for mail handling facilities. In some cases, the addresses provided to the City were found to be storefront properties filled with mailboxes. Therefore, when tenants had issues with their housing, it was often difficult to locate the actual owners of the property without engaging in litigation. This bill is expected to be signed into law by the Mayor in the coming weeks.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Resolutions Recently Introduced by Melissa:

Res 415: Resolution calling upon the New York State Legislature to pass and the Governor to sign Assembly bill A.3659 and Senate bill S.1241, which are designed to improve the efficiency, accountability, and transparency of industrial development agency operations.

Res 416: Resolution calling on Congress and President Obama to abandon the proposal for a national biometric social security card as part of a comprehensive immigration reform package.

Opportunities

Parents: Application for the Gifted & Talented Program in NYC Public Schools is Now Available <http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/parents-application-for-the-gifted-talented-program-in-nyc-public-schools-is-now-available/>

The deadline to apply for gifted and talented seats in NYC public schools has now been extended to September 17th. These seats are for students entering the 4th grade in a K-5 school or the 5th grade in a K-8 school who scored a Level 4 on the ELA and math state standardized tests. For links to application materials and instructions, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-mp.

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Anti-Displacement Task Force

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Candidates Forum for the New York State 68th Assembly District (El Barrio/East Harlem)

When: Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where: Red Carpet Theater at Taino Towers (240 E. 123rd St. @ Second Avenue)

Sponsored by Women of El Barrio and various East Harlem organizations. All official candidates have been invited.

Learn About NYC's New Voting Machines

When: September 11, 2010, 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Where: East 140th Street (between Brook & Willis Avenue in the Bronx)

Creative Dance and Self-Expression in Movement
When: Saturdays, September 11 through November 27
Where: Casabe Houses / 150 East 121 Street & Lexington
Specifically designed for seniors and their families, the workshop is a creative journey into music and dance, leading to a final show of the participants creations. Free Admission for Seniors & Their Families!

Landmarks Lost and Found: A Walking Tour From the Clendening Valley to the Former Obama Residence

When: Sunday, September 12th, 11:00 a.m.

Where: Meet at NE corner Central Park & W. 96 Street [park side]

FREE - For more info call 212-666-9774.

Democratic Primary Day!

When: September 14th. Polls open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 9:00 p.m.

Where: Find your polling place here: http://gis.nyc.gov/vote/ps/index.htm

Grito de Independencia: Mexican Independence Day

When: Wednesday, September 15th, 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.

Where: St. Cecilia's Church, 120 E. 106th St, between Park & Lexington Avenues

Co-Sponsored by Melissa's Office and other community partners. For more information, contact José Garza of EHBCC at 212-427-6590.

Free Hand Drawing/Painting For Seniors & Families
When: Wednesdays, September 15 - December 1, from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Where: Casabe Houses / 150 East 121 Street & Lexington Ave.
By utilizing art for self-expression and reflection seniors may relax, socialize, express happiness, grief, or other emotions through their paintings, bringing them comfort and enjoyment during times of great stress.

Imagenes de Julia de Burgos

When: Thursday, September 16, 7:00 p.m.

Where: 1680 Lexington Avenue

Celebrating the USPS issue of the Julia de Burgos stamp. Film showing the life and poetry of Julia de Burgos + an art exhibition. $7 at the door.

Chili Cook-Off at La Perla Garden

When: Saturday, September 18th, 3pm.

Where: W. 105 Street between Columbus and Manhattan Avenues

Come to eat, come to compete. Cooks must register at csdjuric at yahoo.com <mailto:csdjuric at yahoo.com> by 9/12.

History of a Community Garden

When: Sunday, September 19th, 2:00 p.m.

Where: 6-10 W. 104 Street [Central Park West & Manhattan Avenue]

FREE - Visit to and talk on local gardens at W. 104 St. Garden with member Jean Jaworek. Limited to 30. To reserve 212-666-9774.

Electronic Recycling

When: Sunday, September 19th, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Where: Morningside Park, Morningside Avenue (W. 113th-114th Streets)
Dispose of your unwanted and broken electronics. For list of acceptable materials visit http://tinyurl.com/yfl3opz <mailto:info at lesecologycenter.org> . For info info at lesecologycenter.org <mailto:info at lesecologycenter.org> .

Community Health Fair at West End Church

When: Saturday, September 25th, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Where: 165 W. 105 St.
FREE health screenings, Red Cross emergency awareness. For info 212-663-2900.

Brides March: The El Barrio/East Harlem Contingent

When: Sunday, September 26th, 1:00 p.m.

Where: Meet at 96th Street and 3rd Avenue

Raising awareness on the issue of domestic violence. The contingent will converge with marchers from the South Bronx and Washington Heights. The march will end with a ceremony and prayer at the Julia de Burgos Arts & Cultural Center.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with the information.

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

September 13th and September 27th from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

September 8th and September 22nd from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue