[BwayDems] Hitting the Ground Running

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 23 15:04:56 EST 2010

#yiv1361770642 {font-family:Arial;font-size:10pt;}
#yiv1361770642 {font-family:Arial;font-size:10pt;}

When I announced my Attorney General transition committee last month, I said that my goal was to maintain the excellence of this august office and help build the greatest public interest law firm in America.

After an extensive search to identify the highest quality attorneys to maintain the office's tradition of legal excellence, I am proud to announce the following appointments to the office today:

Harlan Levy will serve as First Deputy Attorney General. A former homicide prosecutor in the New York County District Attorney's Office, Harlan is a partner at Boies Schiller & Flexner, Chair of the Council on Criminal Justice of the New York City Bar Association, a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of the Fund for Modern Courts, and a member of the American Bar Association Committee on Criminal Justice Standards.

Barbara D. Underwood will serve as Solicitor General, where she has served New York since January 2007. Prior to her appointment, she served as Counsel and as Chief Assistant to the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. She was the Acting Solicitor General of the United States, and Principal Deputy Solicitor General of the United States.

Terryl Brown will serve as Counsel to the Attorney General. Terryl has served as the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of the New York Power Authority (NYPA) for the past two years.  Prior to joining NYPA, she was Acting Counsel to Governor David A. Paterson, and previously served as First Assistant Counsel to Governors Paterson and Spitzer, as well as Assistant Deputy Attorney General of the Division of Public Advocacy in the New York State Attorney General’s Office.

Karla Sanchez will serve as Executive Deputy Attorney General for Economic Justice. A partner at Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler, she has successfully litigated before courts and arbitration panels throughout the country representing both plaintiffs and defendants involving a broad range of products and disciplines, including residential mortgage-backed securities, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and consumer products.

Nancy Hoppock will serve as Executive Deputy Attorney General for Criminal Justice. Nancy is currently the chief of the criminal division for the United States Attorney’s Office in New Jersey, where she has handled a broad range of federal white collar and violent crime cases.

Janet Sabel will serve as Executive Deputy Attorney General for Social Justice. Janet is the General Counsel of the Legal Aid Society and an experienced civil litigator - she has held positions including staff attorney in the Civil Division’s Brooklyn Neighborhood Office, and staff attorney in the Civil Appeals and Law Reform Unit, where she worked on federal and class action litigation on disability and health issues.

I look forward to working with these dedicated leaders and innovative legal minds as we represent you in the coming years.

Have a joyous holiday, and stay tuned for more staff announcements in the weeks ahead.

Sincerely,

Eric Schneiderman
Attorney General-elect

Paid for by Schneiderman for Attorney General
Phone:212-242-5301 Fax:212-242-5303
www.ericschneiderman.com

131 Varick Street, Suite 924
New York, NY 10013