[BwayDems] Social Security Articles

Solano, Socrates Socrates.Solano at mail.house.gov
Mon Dec 6 10:04:36 EST 2010

Good morning, everyone. I hope you are well. As the year draws to a close, I hope you will share this information from the Social Security Administration's New York Regional Public Affairs Office with your colleagues and constituents.

You can always get up-to-date information about the Social Security Administration's programs and benefits at www.socialsecurity.gov<http://www.socialsecurity.gov>. And, if you're ready to file, Apply Online for Retirement Benefits. It's so easy!

See Below.. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Socrates S. Solano
Community Representative
Congressman Charles B. Rangel
United States House of Representatives
Office 212.663.3900 Fax 212.663.4277 Web http://rangel.house.gov<http://rangel.house.gov/>

BABY BOOMERS: APPLY ONLINE FOR MEDICARE

By Everett M. Lo
Social Security Administration's Regional Public Affairs Office in the New York Region

This January marks a historic moment: our Nation's first baby boomers are turning 65.

For many baby boomers, it's time to hit the computer. Even if you have decided to wait until after you are age 65 to apply for retirement benefits, most people should start getting Medicare coverage at age 65.

If you would like to begin your Medicare coverage when you first become eligible, it's important that you apply within three months of reaching age 65. But don't worry about the time and effort it will take to apply for Medicare - it's fast and easy! You can do it online at www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly> in as little as 10 minutes.

Why apply online for Medicare? Because it's fast, easy, and secure. You don't need an appointment and you can avoid waiting in traffic or in line. As long as you have ten minutes to spare, you have time to complete and submit your online Medicare application.

People who started receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits before age 65 do not need to apply; they will be automatically enrolled in Medicare.

To learn more about Medicare benefits, visit www.Medicare.gov<http://www.Medicare.gov>.

To learn more about Medicare and the online application, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly>. While you're there, take a look at the Patty Duke Show reunion video as they talk about turkey, pie, and Medicare online.

And happy birthday to all the baby boomers turning 65 in 2011.

# # #

WRAP UP YOUR RETIREMENT APPLICATION BEFORE WRAPPING HOLIDAY GIFTS

By Everett M. Lo
Social Security Administration's Regional Public Affairs Office in the New York Region

The holiday season is, for many people the busiest time of year with gift lists and to-do lists, feast planning and party preparation. The busy schedule, like the gift lists, often can get out of hand.

If you're planning on retiring sometime early in the new year, we suggest you wrap up your retirement application now before wrapping any holiday gifts. It's so easy and can take as little as 15 minutes. Just go to www.socialsecurity.gov/applyonline<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyonline>.

Our website makes the retirement application process quick, easy, and secure. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you're done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Before you start your application, you may want to spend a few minutes to get an estimate of your retirement benefit at www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator>. The Retirement Estimator uses your personal employment history to estimate your retirement benefit.

Then, jump right into the retirement application. You can use the online application to apply for Social Security retirement or spouses benefits if you:
* Are at least 61 years and 9 months old;
* Want to start your benefits in the next four months; and
* Live in the United States.

Before filing online for retirement, we suggest you have the following information on hand:
* Your date and place of birth and Social Security number;
* Your bank or financial institution's routing transit number and the account number, for direct deposit of your benefits;
* The amount of money earned last year and this year. If you are filing for benefits in the months of September through December, you also will need to estimate next year's earnings;
* The name and address of your employer(s) for this year and last year;
* The beginning and ending dates of any active U.S. military service you had before 1968;
* The name, Social Security number, and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse. You also should know the dates and places of marriage and dates of divorce or death (if appropriate); and
* A copy of your Social Security Statement.

Even if you don't have all the information we need at your fingertips, you should go ahead and apply now.
Applying online means there is no need for you to go to a Social Security office or wait for a scheduled appointment with a Social Security representative. Besides, retiring online is so easy. You can apply in as little as 15 minutes. That translates to more time for holiday shopping and activities.

So beat the holiday rush and wrap up your retirement application today at www.socialsecurity.gov/applyonline<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyonline>.

# # #

SOCIAL SECURITY SERVES VETERANS

By Everett M. Lo
Social Security Administration's Regional Public Affairs Office in the New York Region

On November 11, we honor our Nation's veterans for their service to America. What better time than now to tell you about the many benefits and the wealth of information Social Security has available for veterans and military personnel.

In September, the agency published final rules about the Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax (HEART) Act. The HEART Act changes the way we treat some cash payments to members of the uniformed services and veterans under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. As Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue noted at the time, "This law allows the men and women of our armed forces, veterans, and their families to keep more of their military-related payments while also maintaining eligibility for valuable cash and healthcare benefits."

The HEART Act does the following:
* Treats most cash military compensation as earned income for SSI purposes, which generally provides a higher benefit to the service member as a result of the SSI program's more favorable consideration of earned income.
* Excludes certain State annuity payments to disabled, blind or aged veterans from countable income and resources used to determine SSI eligibility.
* Excludes any cash or in-kind payments provided by AmeriCorps State and National and AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps from countable income.

Social Security also makes it easy to get information about benefits for wounded warriors. The first place to go is our website designed specifically for our wounded veterans: www.socialsecurity.gov/woundedwarriors<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/woundedwarriors>. There, you will find answers to a number of commonly asked questions, as well as other useful information about disability benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Please pay special attention to the fact sheets available on that website, Disability Benefits for Wounded Warriors and Expediting Disability Applications for Wounded Warriors.

You will also find a "webinar" that explains the Social Security disability application process and expedited processing available to wounded warriors. This outreach program provides general information about Social Security disability benefits as well as topics unique to wounded warriors, and is a great way to orient yourself to disability benefits for veterans and active duty military.

It's important to note that benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application.

Military service members are covered for the same Social Security survivors, disability, and retirement benefits as everyone else. Military personnel have been covered under Social Security since 1957, and people who were in the service prior to that may be able to get special credit for some of their service.

To learn more about Social Security for current and former military service members, read Military Service and Social Security. You can find the publication online at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10017.html<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10017.html>.

# # #
FAMILY GATHERINGS, HOLIDAY SHOPPING, AND MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION DRUG PLANS

By Everett M. Lo
Social Security Administration's Regional Public Affairs Office in the New York Region
When you think of November, you may imagine such things as turkey dinners, family gatherings, Veterans Day, or the start of the holiday shopping season.
But newly entitled and current Medicare beneficiaries, who are considering changes to their Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plan, might think of November as the time for thinking about Medicare. That's because the Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Program Open Season this year runs from November 15 to December 31.
Joining a Medicare prescription drug plan is voluntary, and participants pay an additional monthly premium for the coverage. Some people with limited resources and income are eligible for Extra Help to pay for monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-payments. To qualify for this Extra Help:

* You must reside in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia;
* Your resources must be limited to $12,510 for an individual or $25,010 for a married couple living together. Resources include such things as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds. We do not count your house and car as resources; and
* Your annual income must be limited to $16,245 for an individual or $21,855 for a married couple living together. Even if your annual income is higher, you still may be able to get some help. Some examples where your income may be higher are if you or your spouse:
* Support other family members who live with you;
* Have earnings from work; or
* Live in Alaska or Hawaii.
And, as our celebrity spokesperson Chubby Checker will tell you, a new "twist" in the law makes it easier than ever to qualify. Social Security no longer counts as a resource any life insurance policy. We also no longer count as income the help you may receive when someone else provides you with food and shelter, or someone else pays your household bills for food, mortgage, rent, heating fuel or gas, electricity, water, and property taxes.

To apply for Extra Help, complete the Application for Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs (SSA-1020) online at www.socialsecurity.gov/extrahelp<http://www.socialsecurity.gov/extrahelp>. You also can call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Social Security representatives can help you apply over the phone or mail an application to your home. Or, visit your local Social Security office.

To learn more about the Medicare prescription drug plan, visit www.medicare.gov<http://www.medicare.gov> or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227; TTY 1-877-486-2048).

# # #