[BwayDems] E-News - Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito - Summer 2010

Taranto, Joseph JTaranto at council.nyc.gov
Mon Aug 9 17:08:48 EDT 2010

Summer 2010

Inside this Newsletter:

* Keep Up With Our Work Online
* Recent News and Events
* Updates on Legislation & Budget
* Opportunities
* Upcoming Events
* Getting Involved
* District Office Information

Keep Up With Our Work Online

Subscribe to Our Blog: http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com

Become a Fan on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/mmvfb

Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewsFromMelissa

Watch the Latest on Our Video Channel: http://mmv.vodspot.tv <http://mmv.vodspot.tv/>

Recent News and Events

Melissa Stands with Governor Paterson as Innocent New Yorkers are Kept Out of the Stop and Frisk Database

Governor Paterson has signed a bill that will implement a critical reform to the NYPD's stop and frisk policy. The new law prohibits police officers from entering the names and contact information of New Yorkers who are stopped and frisked into its database if they are not found to be in violation of any law. Melissa was invited to speak at the press conference, due to her work on this issue, and the way it especially impacts <http://newsfrommelissa.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/paterson-030.jpg> El Barrio/East Harlem. This new State law will help protect the civil liberties of those who are not found to be in violation of the law at the time of a stop, while advocates and concerned elected officials also look at other potential reforms to reduce the adverse effects of this police practice on individuals and communities. An overwhelming majority of those stopped -- at least 80% -- are black and Latino and 90% are found to be innocent. Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly had opposed the law and asked the Governor to veto it. For photos, audio and video from the event, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-jQ.

East River Plaza Officially Opens for Business at Ribbon-Cutting Last Month

Melissa participated in the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the East River Plaza development last month in East Harlem, officially opening the Plaza for business. Thanks to strong advocacy from the El Barrio/East Harlem community, 700 of the 1,000 permanent retail jobs created by this project have been filled by local residents. The project also created over 1,100 construction jobs. The East River Plaza includes stores such as Costco, Target, Bob's Discount Furniture, Best Buy, Old Navy, Marshall's, Pet Smart and Gamestop. To address issues of concern that may emerge as a result of this development, a working group will continue to convene regularly to give local stakeholders an opportunity to monitor developments at the Plaza and work with the developers and the city to resolve these issues. For video from the event and media coverage, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-ko.

Melissa Calls for Greater Protections for Our Community Gardens

Melissa joined Speaker Christine Quinn and community gardeners from around the city at a press conference at City Hall last week to call on the City to provide greater protections for our community gardens. Melissa will be testifying at tomorrow's hearing on new rules concerning community gardens which were recently released by the Parks Department. Please check our blog for updates on this issue. More information and video from last week's press conference is available at http://wp.me/pJ9TG-l4. A full list of community gardens in District 8 is now available on our blog at http://wp.me/PJ9TG-lo.

Join Us at Our 4th Annual Teen Fair Next Week

On Thursday, August 19th, we will host our 4th Annual Teen Fair on 104th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues. Please join us for free food, live music, singers, dancers and giveaways. For more information, call our district office at 212-828-9800.

Local Healthy Eating & Healthy Living Resources Now Posted on Our Blog

Take a look at a new list of resources in District 8 that promote healthy eating and healthy living, including farmer's markets, cooking classes and exercise opportunities. The list is available on a new page we have launched at http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/about-district-8/eating-healthy-living-healthy-in-district-8/.

An Update on the East Harlem Aging Improvement District

Last year, Melissa's office launched an initiative with the New York Academy of Medicine (NYAM) to make East Harlem an Aging Improvement District. This is a pilot program which is establishing a model in New York City which will soon be spreading to other neighborhoods. The initiative seeks to engage seniors at a local level to identify ways in which the neighborhood can make itself more age-friendly, including ensuring equal access to local resources, improving security in the neighborhood, ensuring that our public transportation system serves seniors adequately, and repairing our streets and sidewalks. On Tuesday, August 31st at 1:00 p.m. our office and NYAM are hosting a free lunch for East Harlem older adults to discuss issues in the neighborhood as part of this initiative. The lunch will be held at 1216 Fifth Avenue (@ 103rd Street). See the events section for more details.

Melissa Stands in Support of Former North General Employees

East Harlem's North General Hospital began shutting down last month, after declaring bankruptcy, a result of mounting debt. As a result of the closure, over 1,000 workers -- 900 of them SEIU 1199 members -- are now unemployed. While a new clinic will open in place of the hospital, there are serious concerns about the hiring and labor practices of this new employer. Melissa joined former North General staff, in protesting the Institute for Family Health, which is operating the new clinic. The Institute has hired only a limited number of the North General employees, instead opting for many new, non-unionized workers. For some of those that have been hired back, the Institute has asked them to switch labor unions, an illegal practice, which has prompted SEIU 1199 to initiate legal action against this employer. For more information, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-iU.

Progressive Caucus Releases Statements on Mayor's Support of Bush Tax Cuts & Tuesday's State Budget Agreement

The NYC Council Progressive Caucus released two joint statements last week, one regarding Mayor Bloomberg's support of extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and the other responding to the New York State budget agreement. Both statements can be viewed at http://wp.me/pJ9TG-la.

City Announces Plan to Address Section 8 Voucher Crisis

Last month, the City announced a plan to address the Section 8 voucher crisis, protecting 6,500 families from losing their vouchers. A solution to this crisis has been one of the principal agenda items of the Progressive Caucus, and the subject of several hearings and rallies at City Hall. The $32 million plan announced last Thursday will solve NYCHA's budget shortfall that had put 4,000 families at risk of losing their vouchers and also reinstate subsidies for the roughly 2,500 families whose vouchers had been revoked last December. The plan utilizes federal dollars, including budget reserves from the Section 8 program administered by NYC's Housing Preservation and Development's (HPD), and funding from the City Council. For more details on the plan, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-iI.

City Council Declares July 13th "NYC Day Against Homophobia," in Solidarity with the LGBT Puerto Rican Community

In response to continued hate crimes against members of the LGBT community in Puerto Rico, Melissa joined elected officials and advocates at City Hall to declare July 13, 2010, "The New York City Day Against Homophobia," and to call for the investigation and prosecution of these vicious acts. This coalition also announced the release of a new report on hate crimes in Puerto Rico, as well as another more extensive report by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP) on hate crimes against the LGBT community across the United States. Earlier this year, Melissa helped organize a delegation of NYC and Chicago elected officials to visit Puerto Rico in the wake of the brutal murder of Jorge Steven López Mercado, who was one of at least 25 members of the LGBT community who have been killed as a result of hate violence on the island since 2002. For more information, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-jf.

Melissa Speaks Out Against Closure of Subway Station Booths & Layoffs of Station Agents

Melissa has been speaking out against the MTA's plans to close booths and lay off station agents, submitting testimony at a recent public hearing and helping to organize a press conference with Council Members and the Transit Workers Union Local 100. The MTA is moving forward with plans to close 89 subway stations and to fire over 200 more station agents throughout the city. Several stations in District 8 will be affected by reductions, including 110th and 116th Streets on the 6 line and the 96th Street stop on the 1, 2, and 3 lines. Melissa and her colleagues in the City Council have called on the NYS Assembly to pass a bill that would keep all booths open until a comprehensive study can be performed. The bill has already been passed by the Senate. For video from the press conference and a copy of Melissa's testimony, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-jL.

Immigration Update: Melissa Responds to the Injunction Placed on Parts of Arizona's Immigration Law

On the day a judge put an injunction on parts of Arizona's immigration law, Melissa released a statement praising the judge's decision and echoing continued support for the passage comprehensive immigration reform by the U.S. Congress and President Obama. The statement is available on our blog at http://wp.me/pJ9TG-kC.

Joint Statement from NYC and Chicago Electeds on Police Intimidation of Peaceful Protestors in Puerto Rico

NYC Council Members Melissa Mark-Viverito and Annabel Palma along with Illinois State Senators Iris Martinez and William Delgado and Chicago Alderman Roberto Maldonado have released a joint statement condemning the actions of police officers that used intimidation and excessive force against peaceful protestors in the Capitolio, Puerto Rico's legislative building. To read the statement, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-iu.

Updates on Legislation & Budget

Fiscal Year 2011 Budget Passes City Council, Report on District 8 & This Year's Budget Now Available

At the end of June, the City Council adopted the Fiscal Year 2011 budget for the City of New York. Unfortunately there were a number of cuts to important services, but the City Council was able to make important restorations to save our public pools, libraries, fire engine companies and many of our senior and day care centers. Additionally, Melissa was able to secure over $1.2 million in expense funding for organizations in our district as well as over $6 million in capital funding. We have prepared a brief report for constituents and friends on this year's budget and the discretionary funding secured by Melissa for our district. The report can be viewed any time by visiting http://www.newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/budget.

City Council Passes Sweeping Recycling Reforms, Clean Heating Oil Legislation and a Resolution in Support of the Arizona Boycott

Recycling Reforms. Last month, the City Council enacted a package of sweeping reforms to the way our city recycles. The Council also passed a bill that will help improve our city's air quality by lowering the sulfur content in the heating oil used by so many of the city's buildings and increasing the utilization of biodiesel. Additionally, the Council passed a resolution in support of a boycott of Arizona, in response to their immigration law, parts of which went into effect last month. There were 11 separate pieces of legislation passed in the recycling package, one of which, introduced by Melissa, will require at least one annual event to be held in each borough for the collection of hazardous household products.

Clean Heating Oil. Intro 194-A, also passed last month, will improve our city's air quality, by requiring that all heating oil used after October 1, 2012 contain at least 2 percent biodiesel fuel. In New York City, more pollution comes from burning heating fuels than from vehicles or power plants. In a neighborhood like East Harlem, with one of the highest asthma rates in the city, measures like this that reduce particulate matter in our air are critical.

Arizona Boycott. On the day that the Arizona immigration law went into effect (though some of its most controversial parts have been put on hold by a judge), the Council also adopted a resolution that calls on all branches of government to engage in a boycott of Arizona. Employees of the Council will no longer be able to travel to Arizona using public dollars. Additionally, the Council will be filing an amicus brief in support of the Department of Justice's lawsuit against the State of Arizona.

For more information on legislation passed last month, visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-kE.

City Council to Pass Multiple Dwelling Registration Bill

This afternoon, the City Council's Housing and Buildings Committee held a hearing on Melissa's Multiple Dwelling Registration bill (Intro 87-A). The City's Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), community based groups such as Make the Road New York, and several housing advocates testified in support of Intro 87-A, which is expected to be passed by the full Council this month. Intro 87-A would require corporate owners of buildings to report the names and addresses of principal partners of their companies to the Department of Housing Preservation and Development. Currently, many of these owners are able to hide behind corporations and partnerships, making it difficult for tenants to get problems with their housing resolved without engaging in litigation. The legislation also requires that corporate owners provide a brick and mortar contact address for each of their principal partners. Under current law, many landlords solely list addresses of private mail operating services on their registration statements. One of these addresses in particular is merely a storefront filled with P.O. Boxes.

For a complete list of Melissa's legislation, visit http://newsfrommelissa.wordpress.com/legislation.

Opportunities

Free Summer Meals for Kids Every Weekday

Each year, the City offers free breakfast and lunch for young people under the age of 18 while school is not in session. We encourage local residents to take advantage of these services. Please help spread the word! Meals are offered at schools, parks and public pools throughout the city, Monday through Friday. To find the nearest location, please call 311 or search for a location by visiting http://ow.ly/2dFtg. No documentation or identification is required to receive free meals. For more information, including menus, please visit http://wp.me/pJ9TG-kd.

Upcoming Events

District 8 Youth Council
When: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Where: District Office

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Anti-Displacement Task Force

For more information: Contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800

Food on Film Festival at St. Michaels
When: 7:00 p.m. - 8/11: Like Water for Chocolate, 8/18: Food, Inc.

Where: Amsterdam Avenue & W. 99 Street
FREE - Discussions follow films. For more information, call 212-222-2700.

New York Classical Theatre Presents Much Ado About Nothing

When: Thursday through Sunday, 7:00 p.m (until August 29th)

Where: Central Park & W. 103rd Street

FREE - For more information, call 212-252-4531 or visit www.newyorkclassical.org.

Emergency Parent Meeting and Call to Action - 2010 Test Scores and Their Impact on Our Schools & Children

When: Wednesday, August 11th, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Where: 74 Trinity Place (near Broadway) R to Rector, 2/3/4/5 to Wall St., A/C to Fulton

Come learn about this year's test results, how it affects your school and children how to take action to improve your school. Spanish translation, refreshments and childcare provided. For more information, call Mili Bonilla at 347-901-1049.

Family Day Annual Health Fair - Metropolitan Hospital Center

When: Saturday, August 14th, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: East 106th Street between Third & Lexington Avenues

FREE health screenings, educational programming, music and giveaways.

Nutrition Bazaar "Dunk the Junk" - New York-Presbyterian Ambulatory Care Network

When: Saturday, August 14th, 12 noon to 4 p.m.

Where: 104th Street between Second & Third Avenues

FREE cooking demos, free samples, free health screenings, giveaways and games.

Walk-A-Thon & 6th Annual Health and Cultural Festival - Sponsored by Dominican Sunday

When: Saturday, August 14th, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Where: Beginning in River Side Park (W. 97th Street) and Ending at W. 108th Street between Broadway & Amsterdam Avenues, where the festival will be taking place

FREE - Music, free health screenings and more. For more information, call 212-749-0781.

4th Annual Teen Fair - Step Up, Speak Out & Take Action! - Sponsored by Melissa's Office and the Youth & Education Committee of Community Board 11

When: Thursday, August 19th, 12:00 pm-4:00 pm

Where: 104th Street Between Third & Lexington Avenues

FREE - Singers, dancers, live music, giveaways, free food and much more. For more information, call 212-828-9800.

The Blackout/El Apagon - Presented by Pregones Theater

When: Friday, August 20th, 1 p.m.

Where: 103rd Street Garden (between Lexington and Park Avenues)

FREE - While riding the New York subway uptown from Brooklyn to El Barrio, and eager to witness the birth of his firstborn, a Puerto Rican factory worker and his best friend Trompoloco are caught in the Great Northeastern Blackout.

Jazzmobile All Stars featuring Gregory Generet

When: Monday, August 23rd, 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

Where: W. 106 Street between.Central Park West and

Health Fair & Festival - Sponsored by Hispanic Community Organization for Life

When: Saturday, August 28th, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Where: W. 107th Street between Columbus and Manhattan Avenues
FREE - For more information, call 917-405-8997.

Hacia Afuera Outdoor Art & Music Festival - Presented by Art for Change

When: August 28th and 29th, 12 noon - 5 p.m.

Where: 105th Street & Lexington Avenue

FREE - rain or shine. Featuring artists and live performances.

A Free Lunch for Older Adults in East Harlem - Sponsored by NY Academy of Medicine & Melissa's Office

When: Tuesday, August 31st, 1 p.m.

Where: 1216 Fifth Avenue (@ 103rd Street)

Part of the Age Improvement District initiative. Older adults will discuss how the neighborhood should be improved and will watch a short film on seniors in East Harlem. Call 212-822-7284 to RSVP.

To have a local event featured in our Upcoming Events section, please send an email to newsfrommelissa at gmail.com with the information.

Getting Involved

District 8 Youth Council

The Youth Council provides a wonderful opportunity for the community's youth (ages 13 and up) to take part in local politics in their surrounding community. Young people become involved with local entities that handle youth related issues such as; the Youth & Education Committee meetings of Community Board 11 so as they can see the importance of local politics both to the Community and to themselves. The youth are currently working on a video project to compete in the New York Civil Liberties Union "Freedom of Expression: What is the Change You Believe In?" contest. The District 8 Youth Council meets on Tuesdays and Thursday from 5pm - 6pm weekly. For more information contact Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Anti-Displacement Task Force

The Task Force is a body comprised of Community Based Organization (CBOs), tenants, activists, advocates and elected officials who collectively work, as a community, to confront ruthless landlords, investors, and developers that are attempting to displace members of our community. Their work brings visibility to the housing crisis through community forums, marches, rallies and other initiatives. I am right behind their efforts to empower tenants and community members by providing information and a local support network. To inquire about the next meeting call Elsie Encarnacion at 212-828-9800.

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force

Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force is a group of concerned citizens who have united to help the Elmendorf Reformed Church (ERC) to restore and memorialize its historically and culturally significant colonial African Burial ground at 1st Avenue, between 126th and 127th Streets. ERC was established in 1660. In 1665, the First Church of Harlem, also known as the Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem (ERC), erected a church building at the corner of First Avenue and 127th Street, and a quarter acre of land connected with the church was set aside and became known as the "Negro Burying Ground" (hereafter called the African Burial Ground). To learn more, or join and help, please contact: Deborah Gibson at

(212) 534-5856 or dig1214 at aim.com.

District Office Information

105 East 116th Street

New York NY, 10029

Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Note that Constituent Walk-In Days fall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 6:00pm, as well as Saturdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm. No appointment is necessary.

Upcoming West Side Office Hours

August 16th and August 30th from 2pm to 4pm

991 Amsterdam Ave (btwn. W 108th and W 109th Streets)

Upcoming South Bronx Office Hours

August 11th and August 25th from 2pm to 4pm

283 Saint Ann's Avenue